Strawberries and Creme Bars
I think we all know what holiday is rapidly approaching. Don't worry, I'm not going to start exclusively posting pink Valentine's Day desserts for the next month...I'll obviously post pink savory recipes too (wink wink). In reality, I just really couldn't wait another day to put strawberries and cream bars into the world.
These bars have a white chocolate base layer loaded with white chocolate chips with a beautiful pink strawberry layer on top. The strawberry layer is colored and flavored by real freeze dried strawberries. No fake strawberry flavor here! The two layers blend together in each bite for a taste that reminds me of a fresh strawberry dipped in white chocolate. My husband thinks they taste like a strawberries and creme frappuccino....I'll take that as a thumbs up!
In other news, did you catch my Meatless Monday recipe on Patch yesterday? Every Monday, I will be posting a new vegetarian recipe from my blog. I think it's a great way to share yummy meatless food ideas with a larger audience. Check it out folks!
So, is 8am too early for strawberries and creme?
Strawberries and Creme Bars
Delicious bars with a white chocolate base layer topped with a beautiful pink strawberry layer which is colored and flavored by real strawberries
Makes: 9 bars
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup (66.7 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups (156 grams) all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 x 8 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Add the strawberries to a food processor or blender and blend until they become largely ground into fine crumbs with only a few slightly larger pieces. Just an FYI, this process will create a lot of "strawberry dust". Set aside
- In a medium pot over low heat, add the butter and 8 ounces of white chocolate. Stir constantly until melted together. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
- Add the two eggs and sugar to a large bowl and whisk until just frothy. Gradually whisk in the chocolate mixture and then the vanilla and almond extracts until combined
- Being careful not to overmix, add the flour and salt to the large bowl and stir together until the flour is incorporated
- Gently fold the white chocolate chips into the batter
- Divide the batter evenly into two bowls (I just eye ball it)
- Add the ground strawberries to one bowl and mix
- Spread the white chocolate batter into the prepared pan and top with the strawberry layer
- Bake for approximately 25 - 30 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool on a cooling rack
Shop the Items Used to Make this Recipe: