Raspberry Almond Galette
Grab some berries at your farmer's market this week because it's time for some fresh fruit pie!
Well, our big move is now complete! There are boxes everywhere but unpacking is so much better than packing. I'm really looking forward to settling in and being able to devote more time to recipe development and photography. Yay! My kitchen is far too clean right now!
This galette was the last thing I made in the old kitchen. I think it was the perfect dessert to go out on. It starts with a simple, no fuss buttery crust - the same one used in my savory galette but without the fennel. Don't forget, galettes are not "easy as pie" to make - they are WAY easier than pie to make (see what I did there?). After you make the crust, you will let it sit in the fridge then roll it out into a circle. Perfection is not necessary! You will grab those delicious raspberries you picked up and toss them with some sugar, cornstarch, a touch of almond extract and raspberry jam. Now place some sliced almonds on the pie dough before putting on that delicious filling. I do this so there is a barrier between the crust and the juicy fruit - we don't want those soggy bottoms! Fold the sides of the crust over the filling and bake! Enjoy solo or with some ice cream!
Raspberry Almond Galette
Buttery crust topped with almonds and a raspberry jam filling
- 1 1/4 cups (156 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in cubes
- 4 - 5 tablespoons ice water
- Mix together the flour and salt
- Use either a food processor or forks to cut the butter into the flour until the butter is in rice sized pieces
- Add the cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is moist (not wet) and can be shaped into a ball
- Shape the dough into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours
- *Note: Try to handle/process the dough as little as possible
- 1 prepared pie crust (recipe above)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam (I use Bonne Maman)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Carefully stir together the raspberries, jam, cornstarch, sugar and almond extract. Set aside
- Remove the pie crust dough from the refrigerator and roll into a 9 - 10 inch circle (should be about 1/4 inch thick)
- Layer most of the almonds on the dough, leaving a 2 inch border around the edges. Place the raspberry filling on top of the almonds
- Fold the edges of the dough over the filling to form a "crust"
- Brush the beaten egg over the crust and press the remaining almonds on the crust. Place on the baking sheet
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the crust is browned and cooked through