Peanut Butter Banana Oat Cookies (Gluten Free)
Are you ready for another cookie recipe? I'm really excited about these cookies because not only are they delicious (seriously, I can't stop eating them), they are also gluten free which means even more people can enjoy them!
These are my ideal peanut butter cookies. When you bite into them, your mouth is flooded with stick to your mouth, peanut butter flavor. The thickness of the cookie (do you see the height on them?!) makes every bite satisfying. The oats add a hearty chewiness while the banana flavor gives a nice background flavor reminiscent of your old favorite peanut butter banana sandwich. And the chocolate? It makes the experience even more indulgent.
Peanut Butter Banana Oat Cookies
Thick, peanut butter packed oatmeal banana cookies
Makes: 15 large cookies
- 2 1/2 cups (225 grams) old fashioned oats, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup freeze dried bananas (not banana chips), chopped in small pieces or blended in a food processor/blender*
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Add 1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats to a food processor or blender and blend until they break down into oat flour. Alternatively, you can use pre-made oat flour - about 128 grams
- Add the oat flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine
- Whisk together the peanut butter, egg, vanilla extract and coconut oil until it is smooth and combined
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir to combine
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup of unprocessed oats, bananas and chocolate chips
- Scoop 3 tablespoon sized balls of dough onto a silicon mat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- The cookies will not spread so gently press down on each cookie - see thickness of cookies in picture
- Bake for approximately 10 - 11 minutes, it will still be a little shiny in the middle
- Cool on the rack for a couple minutes then transfer to a cooling rack
* I made these cookies with the banana chips chopped into small pieces (no larger than a chocolate chip) and also with them processed in the food processor until they were completely broken down. I liked both ways equally - the processed bananas leave you with a consistent banana flavor throughout. My husband didn't like the texture of the small banana pieces.
Don't like bananas? Leave them out for spectacular peanut butter oatmeal cookies!
Note for Gluten Free: Confirm all your ingredients are gluten free - although these ingredients are naturally GF, some cross contamination can occur
Shop the Items Used to Make this Recipe