Chocolate Coffee Sugar Cookies (Gilmore Girls Tribute Recipe)
Oy with the poodles already!
Are you all excited for the holiday this week? Of course, I mean the release of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix! I have been waiting for this day for almost 10 years when Rory (and I) graduated from college. Wait, does that mean I graduated from college almost 10 years ago? Yikes...moving on...
Food is a pretty big part of the Gilmore Girls' lives yet I had a hard time coming up with fun snacks for viewing the show. Besides Pop-Tarts, they just love junk food and coffee in general. Enter this cookie. I created a chocolate coffee flavored cookie in a poodle shape to celebrate Lorelei's famous line, "Oy, with the poodles already".
Not a Gilmore Girls fan? I'm disappointed, but no worries. You can cut out any shape (maybe some snowmen and Christmas trees!) and enjoy this recipe with the rest of us. Let's channel our inner Sookie and get baking!
Chocolate Coffee Sugar Cookies
Mocha flavored roll out sugar cookies
Makes: The yield will depend on the size of your cutter and the thickness of your dough. I got 12 cookies using the cutter listed in the Amazon section below
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups (187.5 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (not packed)
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, add the butter and sugars and mix on low to combine then switch to medium high and cream for about 4 minutes
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium for approximately 1 minute
- Gradually add in the flour mixture with the mixer on low speed. Be careful not to over mix
- Shape the dough into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- When the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 and sprinkle flour on a large clean surface and a rolling pin
- Roll the dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick
- Cut out desired shapes with a cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet
- Bake for approximately 7 minutes. The cookies will still be soft right out of the oven but the edges will crisp up during cooling (bake for about 8 minutes to get the entire cookie crispy)
- Let the cookies cool completely before decorating
Icing Recipe: Sally's Easy Icing
Using a decorating bottle, outline each cookie with the icing with no added color. Decorating one cookie at a time, fill in the outline completely using the tip to carefully spread within the lines outlined. While still wet, place edible pearls on the tail, legs and head. Now wait for the icing to completely set - I waited overnight. Using edible food markers, draw in the nose and eyes. Find the products I used below.